[Ads-l] "What do you mean we, paleface / white man / kemo sabe?"

Tue Jun 4 00:49:58 UTC 2019

Bill Mullins wrote:

> I'm told by a correspondent on another list that this is possibly/likely a reframing
> of another joke, in which a jockey brags about his many wins, and his horse
> says "What do you mean, you?"; and that Arthur Godfrey used the joke on his
> radio show circa 1939.

The jockey may have hesitated to share credit with his horse, but in
the excerpt below from 1934 an apple salesman was eager to share
credit with his horse.

Date: August 21, 1934
Newspaper: Kansas City Times
Newspaper Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Article: Letter to the Motion Picture Editor from Annie Kurtz
Quote Page 15(D), Column ??
Database: GenealogyBank

[Begin excerpt]
By the way, the above paragraph marks the first time I have said "we"
since I overheard a neighbor chiding a huckster for saying, “We can't
sell those apples for less." "What do you mean by 'We?'" she asked.
“Me and the horse, lady," was the answer.
ANNIE KURTZ.
[End excerpt]