[Ads-l] anticdotes (meaning 'anecdotes')

Tue Jun 4 01:11:41 UTC 2019

W Brewer wrote:
> FoxNews, Outnumbered, 20190502 12:09 ET
> [ˈæntʰɪkˌdouts], new to me, was clearly articulated.
>  For me, <anecdotes> and <anticdotes> can be homonymic: [ˈænɪkˌdouts], and
> the carefully pronounced [ˈæntʰɪkˌdouts] (unmasking a folk-etymology)
> tickled my funny-bone.

Here are some instances of "antic-dotes" that seem to be deliberate.
The first two are perhaps wordplay.

Date: September 28, 1894
Newspaper: Chanute Daily Tribune
Newspaper Location: Chanute, Kansas
Article: Untitled
Quote Page 3, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
The Kansas City Journal's latest gift to its subscribers is a
Napoleonic Album which is sent free to each subscriber upon receipt of
10 cents to pay postage, etc. This may well be called the Napoleonic
Age, as the press of the country is literally filled with stories and
antic-dotes of "The Man of Destiny."
[End excerpt]