[Ads-l] poolish (1994) also biga

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Sun Jun 9 16:44:56 UTC 2019

Here’s another citation, not quite as early, but from a book I’ve used so often it falls open at the ‘poolish’ page. Here’s their definition:

Poolish: A French term for “sponge”. Similar to the sponge described above... p.53

Eckhardt, Linda West, and Diana Collingwood Butts, 1995. Rustic European Breads from Your Bread Machine. New York: Doubleday.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
geoffnathan at wayne.edu

From: Barretts Mail<mailto:mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Sunday, June 9, 2019 11:17 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: poolish (1994) also biga

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM>

On 3 Aug 2011, GC forwarded an announcement =
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2011-August/111160.html =
<http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2011-August/111160.html>=
) to the ADS list from David Gold, which included the following:

=E2=80=94=E2=80=94
23. The (Solely Southeastern?) Yiddish Cloth Name taniklot and the Rare =
American English Baking Term poolish 'leaven, starter, starter dough=E2=80=
=99
=E2=80=94=E2=80=94=20

Poolish is in Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/poolish =
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/poolish>) but not the OED or =
Merriam-Webster. Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-ferment =
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-ferment>) gives =E2=80=9Cpouliche=E2=80=
=9D as an alternative and also mentions =E2=80=9Cbiga=E2=80=9D.

1. How to Make the Best Ultra-Buttery Croissants
Kat Craddock and Andrew Richdale
=
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-to-make-the-best-ultra-buttery-croi=
ssants =
<https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-to-make-the-best-ultra-buttery-cro=
issants>
Originally in Saveur, 14 Nov 2017

=E2=80=94=E2=80=94
The Tartine team relies on a preliminary fermentation called a _poolish_ =
that uses packaged yeast; along with quickly developing flavor, the =
technique makes the dough easier to roll.
=E2=80=94=E2=80=94

2. Poolish
Tony Gemignani
Oct 2014
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/poolish-51255820 =
<https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/poolish-51255820>

=E2=80=94=E2=80=94
Here is a starter I use frequently in my restaurants. My poolish follows =
the traditional proportions of equal parts water and flour, so its =
hydration is at 100 percent.
=E2=80=94=E2=80=94

3. Artisan bread baking tips: Poolish & biga
weekendbakery.com
Undated; earliest comment 25 Jan 2011 =
(https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/more-artisan-bread-baking-tips-poolis=
h-biga/comment-page-1/#comments =
<https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/more-artisan-bread-baking-tips-poolis=
h-biga/comment-page-1/#comments>)
=
https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/more-artisan-bread-baking-tips-poolish=
-biga/ =
<https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/more-artisan-bread-baking-tips-poolis=
h-biga/>

=E2=80=94=E2=80=94
_Biga_ and _poolish_ are terms for pre-ferments used in Italian and =
French baking, respectively, for sponges made with domestic baker=E2=80=99=
s yeast. Poolish is a fairly wet sponge (typically made with a =
one-part-flour-to-one-part-water ratio by weight), while biga is usually =
drier. Bigas can be held longer at their peak than wetter sponges, while =
a poolish is one known technique to increase a dough=E2=80=99s =
extensibility.
=E2=80=94=E2=80=94

4. Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite =
Recipes
Beth Hensperger
2000
https://tinyurl.com/y3cdlpvw <https://tinyurl.com/y3cdlpvw>

=E2=80=94=E2=80=94
The _poolish_ was a turn-of-the-century bread making technique, but of =
late it has revitalized the artisan bread movement.
=E2=80=94=E2=80=94

5. Paris boulangerie-p=C3=A2tisserie
Linda Dannenberg
1994 (Google-dated; confirmed on Amazon)
https://tinyurl.com/yxqtylgc <https://tinyurl.com/yxqtylgc>

=E2=80=94=E2=80=94
This method of bread making=E2=80=94_sur poolish_=E2=80=94involves =
making a starter with about one-third of the flour and two-thirds of the =
water from the total ingredients, which ferments from ...
=E2=80=94=E2=80=94

6. Poolish
BAKERpedia
Undated
https://bakerpedia.com/processes/poolish/ =
<https://bakerpedia.com/processes/poolish/>

=E2=80=94=E2=80=94
Poolish is a highly fluid yeast-cultured dough. It=E2=80=99s a type of =
pre-ferment traditionally used in the production of French bakery =
products.

A Poolish resembles a sponge for the sponge and dough system.
=E2=80=94=E2=80=94

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA=