[Ads-l] ratioed

Fri Jun 21 07:21:47 UTC 2019

Mark Mandel wrote:
> Headline from the Daily Kos:
>
> Liz Cheney calls Rep. Ocasio-Cortez anti-Semitic, gets historically ratioed
> on Twitter
>
> https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2019/6/18/1865595/-Liz-Cheney-calls-Rep-Ocasio-Cortez-anti-Semitic-gets-historically-ratioed-on-Twitter
>
> It may refer to the ratio of tweets supporting Cheney's accusation to those
> attacking it, but I haven't been able to find any explicit comparison in
> the article, much less a definition or repetition of the usage.

An article on the Merriam-Webster website examined the origin of
"ratioed" in the twitter domain.

Article title: Words We're Watching: 'Ratioed'
Article subtitle: A quantitative measure of how little they like your take.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/words-were-watching-ratio-ratioed-ratioing

The author of the article traced the genesis to a tweet which referred
to the ratio between the number of replies and the number of retweets.
This definition implicitly considered a reply to be negative feedback
and a retweet to be positive feedback.  Favoriting a tweet was not
mentioned in the initial highlighted tweets.

https://twitter.com/85mf/status/839222319147069441
https://twitter.com/Briligerent/status/841982094221946880

Here is an Urban Dictionary entry:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ratioed

[Begin excerpt]
ratioed
Being revealed as an idiot on twitter by having a high ratio of
comments to likes and retweets.
@CandiceBergenMP was totally #ratioed in her tweet last night.
#twitter#social media
by mumbling December 30, 2017