[Ads-l] Quote: The very existence of libraries affords the best evidence that we may yet have hope for the future of man. (Attributed to T.S. Eliot)

Sat Jun 22 05:18:38 UTC 2019

A T. S. Eliot scholar contacted me and requested that I explore the
quotation in the subject line which is popular with some library
supporters. I created a Quote Investigator article to report my meager
discoveries. Eliot died in 1965, and the earliest citation I located
appeared in 1999. Any help would be appreciated.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/06/22/libraries/

Year: 1999
Book Title: Shelf Life: How Books Have Changed the Destinies and
Desires of Men and Nations
Authors: George Grant and Karen Grant
Chapter: Literary Collections
Quote Page 91
Publisher: Cumberland House, Nashville, Tennessee.
(Verified with scans)

[Begin excerpt]
"The very existence of libraries affords the best evidence that we may
yet have hope for the future of man."
T. S. Eliot (1888-1965)
[End excerpt]

Garson O'Toole