[Ads-l] Quote: When you have to fool the world, tell the truth. Otto von Bismarck

Thu Jun 27 21:30:07 UTC 2019

Gerald Leonard wrote:
>  I remember coming across a related quote but can't locate it now
>
> (I think it was by Disraeli):
> "Always tell the truth. You will confound your enemies and conceal
> your true intentions."
>
> The closest I can find is one by Mark Twain: "When in doubt tell the
> truth. You will confound your enemies and astound your friends."

Thanks Gerald for posting an interesting lead.

I sent an inquiry via twitter to colleague Gerald Krieghofer who
investigates German (and English) quotations.
https://twitter.com/QuoteResearch/status/1143388224427106304

A pertinent quotation in German in 1898 was shared via twitter:

https://twitter.com/RalfBuelow/status/1143965271390130177
https://twitter.com/krieghofer/status/1143968657216888834

I also shared some thematically related passages about Bismarck that I
plan to add to the QI article in the coming days:

https://twitter.com/QuoteResearch/status/1143971057923252225
https://twitter.com/QuoteResearch/status/1143971799253880835
https://twitter.com/QuoteResearch/status/1143972523429761024
https://twitter.com/QuoteResearch/status/1143976504600211457