[Ads-l] Modern Proverb: A good loser is no good (Robert Zuppke Nov 6, 1924) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sun Jun 30 08:18:49 UTC 2019

In case anyone wonders, the Wits recreations author George Herbert (1592-1637) is a different individual than his near contemporary, the fine poet George Herbert (1593-1633).
Stephen
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2019 10:28 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Modern Proverb: A good loser is no good (Robert Zuppke Nov 6, 1924) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Statements that fit the template "Show me an X, and I'll show you a Y"
were circulating in the 1600s. George Herbert's compilation
"Outlandish Proverbs" appeared posthumously in 1640, and it contained
the following statement (modified to use modern spelling): Show me a
liar, and I will show thee a thief.

Year: 1640
Title: Wits recreations. Selected from the finest fancies of moderne muses