[Ads-l] double/triple-dog dare

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 30 18:36:37 UTC 2019

Not in the OED. I don’t see “double-dog dare” in the HDAS.

Merriam-Webster (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/double-dog%20dare <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/double-dog%20dare>) labels “double-dog dare” as “chiefly South & Midland” and doesn’t have the triple version. I have long been familiar with at least “triple dog dare” and wonder whether the label is appropriate.

Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/double_dog_dare#English <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/double_dog_dare#English>) has “double dog dare” (verb cited to 1893, noun uncited) and an entry (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/triple_dog_dare <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/triple_dog_dare>) for the verb “triple dog dare” without citations.

As a nine-year-old just informed me, a triple-dog dare is a dare that cannot be refused, a requirement confirmed by the UD:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Triple%20Dog%20Dare <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Triple%20Dog%20Dare>
1. DemonVampire180

***
It is the ultimate dare. It's for when a person rejects a regular dare, AND a double dog dare. It is a dare that you HAVE to do under any circumstances. If you don't do it you look like a weakling or a chicken.
I triple dog dared her to run around the house completely naked. She chickened out and to this day we don't let her live it down.

####
####

2. Rachael the Great

****
Note: The infamous Triple-dog-dare is infamous for the sole reason that you cannot back down from it--without exception! An issued triple-dog-dare has no counteraction and must be implemented and/or carried out.
Ever seen the movie "A Christmas Carol"? Enough said.
####
####

3. Dubiks

****
A way to get stupid people to do what ever you want.
Me: "I want you to go clean out my toilet after that massive shit I just took."
person: "No, I'm not doing that."
Me: "I triple dog dare you."
person: "Deal!"
####
####

I quickly searched for the noun and verb of “triple dog dare” and came up with the following two citations.

4. Noun:
https://tinyurl.com/y4p5l6n5 <https://tinyurl.com/y4p5l6n5>
Loving an alcoholic: help and hope for significant others
Jack Mumey
1985

****
… it got to a “triple-dog-dare you,” that was _serious_ stuff! Anyone who didn’t answer a “triple dog dare” threat couldn’t expect to save face ever again!

####
####

5. Verb
https://tinyurl.com/yxttjdzd <https://tinyurl.com/yxttjdzd>
Rocka-Good-Bye
Molly Bass
18 April 1990 (date the play was performed)

****
I didn’t either, but Dillon triple-dog dared me and put two double-dog dares on top … and he gave me a dollar.

####
####

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA