[Ads-l] "The Big Easy"

Ben Yagoda byagoda at UDEL.EDU
Mon Mar 4 14:47:21 UTC 2019

Forgive me if Barry or someone else has already mentioned this, but my impression is that current-day New Orleaneans chafe at “the Big Easy,” the way San Franciscans don’t like “Frisco.” Again, my impression is that they prefer “the Crescent City” as a nickname, which “problematizes” this finding of Barry’s: “In an interview with Larry McKinley in The Times-Picayune on January 25, 1976, talking about his days at the radio station WYLD:
“We were told ‘Don’t say Crescent City.'”

Ben