[Ads-l] Antedating of "Spoof"

Tue Mar 5 02:11:34 UTC 2019

Here is the 1888 citation in which "Spoof" consisted of convincing a
person to disrobe via a series of bets. The 1884 citation hints at the
possibility of nudity in the game when it states that Spoof was
"invented by the anonymous cad, who has come down to posterity as the
husband of Lady Godiva".

Date: December 3, 1888
Newspaper: Liverpool Mercury
Newspaper Location: Liverpool, England
Article: Extraordinary Conduct of Liverpool Tradesman
Quote Page 8, Column 8
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt - check for OCR errors – paragraph breaks added for readability]
Dr. Commins: Are you aware, officer, that there is a very gross game
practised by some vicious people in this part of England called
"Spoof?" Witness: I have just got to know that that game has been
introduced. --Dr. Commins proceeded to ask the witness whether the
game did not consist in one or more who desired to play a nasty
practical joke getting hold of a man and betting that he would not
take off his coat, then his waistcoat, until he was stripped of all
his clothing.

One of the bets on this occasion was that Vaughan, having divested
himself of all his clothes and blacked himself with lampblack, would
not go to the nearest public house and ask for a glass of beer.--By
the Chairman: I saw the defendant all the way from the stables to the
public house.--By Mr. Swift: The men did not take notice of any
females or even of him. (Laughter.)

Wilson followed to the police station, because he had told him he must
come and the reply was, "All right; I will stand by my pal."--John
Bleasdale, the licensee of the public house, said that when he saw
Vaughan he ordered him out. He was astonished to see him. Vaughan did
not ask for beer or anything else.

He knew the defendants to be respectable men. --Dr. Commins contended
that there was no case against Vaughan, who had been made the victim
of a brutal joke. They gently got him to take off his clothes over
this peculiar game, and then ran him to the nearest public house
through the public street. The officer's evidence showed that the man
was held until he reached the public house. . . .
[End excerpt]

Garson