[Ads-l] "dime a dozen" (1916)

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 10 16:32:07 UTC 2019

An early form of the expression appears to be, "not worth a dime a
dozen".  It appears regularly beginning in the 1920s, but is older.  I
found two early examples.

Consistent with TAD's usage in sports contexts in 1916, it appears as
early as 1894 in connection with horse racing.

[Excerpt]
Joe Thayer, of Lexington, was offered $5,000 last week for the
two-year-old colt Larrabie - and yet some people say trotters are not
worth a "dime a dozen."
[End]
Kentucky Advocate (Danville, Kentucky), October 31, 1894, page 2.

In other contexts by 1913.

[Excerpt]
The New Yorker who spent $25 in court for appropriating a kiss while
driving his car at 40 miles an hour certainly is a spendthrft.  An El
Dorado young man who drives a car declares that kisses at more than five
miles an hour aren't worth a dime a dozen.
[End]
Walnut Valley Times (El Dorado, Kansas), December 5, 1913, page 2.

Things priced actually priced at a dime a dozen appear as early as the
1840s, and were still being advertised in the early 1900s.