[Ads-l] hashtaggy: 2010

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 13 03:55:18 UTC 2019

A. In an interview today between Steve Inskeep of NPR and Representative Lauren Underwood, Underwood uses the word “hashtaggy" to mean oversimplified.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/12/702464519/meet-freshman-democratic-rep-lauren-underwood-of-illinois <https://www.npr.org/2019/03/12/702464519/meet-freshman-democratic-rep-lauren-underwood-of-illinois>

——
UNDERWOOD: So what if we talk about creating a modern financial aid system where we have Pell Grants that reflect the true cost of college and we have subsidized student loans that fill that gap? Some people might call that free college for everybody or whatever. But the people that speak in these, like, hashtaggy-type (ph) phrases do not always have lots of solutions underneath it. And...

INSKEEP: The hashtag is the polarizing thing. It may draw some support to the idea, but it also drives people away.

UNDERWOOD: Right. And I'm into solutions.
——

I assume “ph” means phonetic.

The UD has “hashtaggy” to mean excessive use of hashtags (2016). https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hashtaggy <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hashtaggy>

B. Pertaining to hashtags or having many hashtags

1. Karl Burkart
https://www.mnn.com/green-tech/gadgets-electronics/blogs/is-flipboard-the-next-killer-social-app <https://www.mnn.com/green-tech/gadgets-electronics/blogs/is-flipboard-the-next-killer-social-app>

——
Flipboard makes social media pretty ... beautiful in fact — something that cannot be said for clunky Facebook or hashtaggy Twitter.
——

2. Marissa Moss
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/marissa-moss/twitter-killed-the-radio-_b_821934.html <https://www.huffingtonpost.com/marissa-moss/twitter-killed-the-radio-_b_821934.html>

——
This morning, #Express Yourself is trending almost as high on Twitter as “BornThisWay or any of its hashtaggy permutations.
——

3. Mike Opelka, The Blaze
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-53-percent-of-americans-who-actually-pay-taxes-have-a-message-for-the-99-percent-at-occupy-wall-street-2011-10 <https://www.businessinsider.com/the-53-percent-of-americans-who-actually-pay-taxes-have-a-message-for-the-99-percent-at-occupy-wall-street-2011-10>

Lucy Madison
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/conservatives-launch-we-are-the-53-blog-in-response-to-occupy-wall-street/ <https://www.cbsnews.com/news/conservatives-launch-we-are-the-53-blog-in-response-to-occupy-wall-street/>
(missing the hashtag portion)

and

Zaid Jilani
https://thinkprogress.org/the-53-myth-working-poor-pay-more-of-their-income-in-state-and-local-taxes-than-the-rich-in-49-736d119dd9/ <https://thinkprogress.org/the-53-myth-working-poor-pay-more-of-their-income-in-state-and-local-taxes-than-the-rich-in-49-736d119dd9/>

all citing the53.tumblr.com <http://the53.tumblr.com/> (I can’t find the original citation)

——
So if you're, like, totally gonna spread the word about being one of the 53% of people who actually, like, pay taxes in America and don't just, like, hang out protesting stuff all day… like, here's the hashtaggy thingy. See you at the protest! #iamthe53
——

4. Angie Bailey
https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-humor-behavior-tweets-twitter-hashtag <https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-humor-behavior-tweets-twitter-hashtag>

——
I know some people loathe hashtags, but I think they can be fun to use, even when they’re used with no real hashtaggy purpose.
——

5. Melody Butts
https://www.da.org/page.cfm?p=720&eid=74 <https://www.da.org/page.cfm?p=720&eid=74>

——
This week's 'hashtaggy experiment' in gratitude
——

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA