[Ads-l] "back slums" 1821, including a Cruickshank illustration

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 13 18:22:25 UTC 2019

"Slum," "Back Slum," "Lodging-Slum," "Billiard-Slum," and "Area Slum"
are all included in a "Vocabulary of Flash Language" appended to the end
of Jame Hardy Vaux's, Memoirs of James Hardy Vaux, London, W. Clowes,
1819 (HathiTrust).

"Slum" is defined with two distinct meanings, one as a synonym of
"racket," and the other as a "room."

As a "racket," it notes that:

[Excerpt (page 200)]
In fact, any game may be termed a rig, racket, suit, slum, &c., by
prefixing thereto the particular branch of depredation or fraud in
question, many examples of which occur in this work.
[End Excerpt]

Of the "many examples" of such rackets in the book, a "Lodging-Slum" is
"the practice of hiring ready-furnished lodgings, and stripping them of
the plate, linen, and other valuable."

A "Billiard-Slum" is defined as a synonym of "Mace," which in turn is
defined as
"to obtain goods on credit, which you never mean to pay for; to run up a
score with the same intention, or to sponge upon your acquaintance, by
continually begging or borrowing from them."

"Area Slum" is "the practice of slipping unperceived down the areas of
private houses, and robbing the lower apartments of plate or other
articles."

As a room, "Back-Slum" is a "back room; also the back entrance to any
house or premises; thus, we'll give it 'em on the back-slum, means,
we'll get in at the back-door."