[Ads-l] Antedating of Jamboree

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 14 18:48:28 UTC 2019

I don't remember whether I've posted this here before, but there is at least one earlier example of "Jam bo ree" that is consistent with early African-American usage.

An advertisement for "White's New Ethiopian Song Book" in 1850 lists the contents of the book, including an entry for a song, "Whoop! Jam-bo-ree."

The Pittsburgh Daily Post, July 3, 1850, page 2.

HathiTrust has a collection of Minstrel songbooks published in 1854 that appears to include the "White's New Ethiopian Song Book" in its entirety.

HathiTrust has another undated minstrel songbook with a different title, but which includes the lyrics of a song by the same title.

Both books have the same lyrics.

[Excerpt]
"Whoop, Jam-Bo-Ree, - Jig.  As sung by the original Dan Emmett, (in imitation of the western boatmen,) at White's Melodeon.

I went down to New orleans, I tink myself a man,
De first place I fotched up was on board de Tallyrann.
Chorus- Whoop, jam-bo-ree! Whoop, jam-bo-ree!
Vinegar shoes and paper stockings, Git up! ole hoss!"
. . .
[End Excerpt]

White's New Ethiopian Song Book, page 16, included as part of the collection, Christy's and White's Ethiopian Melodies comprising The Melodeon Song Book; Plantation Melodies; Ethiopian Song Book, Serenader's Song Book, and Christy and Wood's New Song Book,  Philadelphia, T. B. Peterson & Brothers,  1854.

Also, Christy's Panorama Songster, New York, William H. Murphy, undated, page 135.