[Ads-l] Query on "huntress"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 22 19:50:36 UTC 2019

> On Mar 22, 2019, at 3:36 PM, Chris Waigl <chris at LASCRIBE.NET> wrote:
>
> This is not a scientifically well-based comment, but as I live in a
> place where hunting (for sport, personal use, and subsistence purposes)
> is extremely common, I'm only ever hearing the (many many) women who
> hunt being referred to as "hunters". There seems to be very little
> reason to make a difference here, as the core of the thing, for those
> who practice it seriously, is exactly the same.
>
> Christine Cunningham, who writes a column for the Anchorage Daily News,
> is always referred to as a hunter:
> https://www.adn.com/author/christine-cunningham/
>
> When you say huntress I think of a scene painted on an ancient vase.
>
> Chris

Yes, it’s a bit like “priestess” (conjuring up a female presider over ancient rites) vs. sex-neutral “priest” (as in the Episcopal/Anglican tradition).  “Huntress” for me conjures Artemis/Diana, not Sarah Palin.  Of course whether it’s appropriate to describe Ms. Palin as a hunter at all when she shoots moose from a low-flying aircraft is another question…

LH