[Ads-l] Asylee

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 26 12:55:06 UTC 2019

Not all -ee nouns correspond to the direct or indirect object of a transitive verb (or the subject of an intransitive, as with “standee”, “escapee”, “signee”), especially innovative ones: “amputee”, “biographee”, “festschriftee”, “experimentee”, “laughee”, “snoree”, “fantasizee”, “return-addressee"—and of course “refugee”.  For a nice treatment of both lexicalized and innovative -ee nouns is Chris Barker’s 1995 paper “Episodic -ee in English”.

LH