[Ads-l] Quote: In etymology vowels count for nothing and consonants for very little. (Attributed to Voltaire)

Thu Mar 28 06:11:05 UTC 2019

Back on February 7, 2019 there was a discussion thread concerning a
humorous quotation about etymology attributed to Voltaire. It is a
complex topic, so I decided to write only a short piece with some key
citations for the Quote Investigator website:

In Etymology Vowels Count for Nothing and Consonants for Very Little
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/03/25/vowels/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to David L. Gold whose inquiry led QI to formulate this
question and perform this exploration. Special thanks to those who
supplied valuable citations. Ben Zimmer pointed to “Essai Analytique”
in 1800, “Oriental Fragments” in 1834, and “The Foreign Quarterly
Review” in October 1836. Stephen Goranson pointed to Hodgson’s
translation in 1807. Peter Reitan pointed to “The Athenaeum” in March
1834. All errors are QI’s responsibility.
[End acknowledgement]

Feedback welcome
Garson