[Ads-l] exorbitant/absorbent mixup

Thu May 2 18:29:22 UTC 2019

British Veterinarian and author James Herriot used "absorbent price"
in the dialog of a character.

Date: 1973
Book title: Let Sleeping Vets Lie
Author: James Herriot
Quote Page 28
Database: Google Books snippet. Unverified

[Begin snippet text]
'It nearly shifted your pig, didn't it?' I sniffed at the mixture.
'And no wonder. It smells almost like pure turpentine.'

'Turpentine! Well by gaw is that all it is? And bloke said it was
summat new. Charged me an absorbent price for it too.'
[End snippet text]

Garson