[Ads-l] Etymology of "runcible"

Tue May 7 12:50:33 UTC 2019

The OED entry contains several citations for runcible from the works
of Edward Lear. The variety suggests that "runcible" had no fixed
meaning in Lear's mind.

[Begin OED excerpt]
runcible, adj.

A nonsense word originally used by Edward Lear in runcible cat,
runcible hat, etc.

Origin: Of uncertain origin. Perhaps an arbitrary formation. Perhaps a
variant or alteration of another lexical item. Etymon: rouncival adj.

Recorded earliest in runcible spoon n. at Special uses.

1870   E. Lear Owl & Pussy-cat in Our Young Folks Feb. 112   They
dined on mince and slices of quince, Which they ate with a runcible
spoon.

1877   E. Lear Laughable Lyrics 24   He has gone to fish, for his Aunt
Jobiska's Runcible Cat with crimson whiskers!

1888   E. Lear Nonsense Songs & Stories (ed. 6) 8   His body is
perfectly spherical, He weareth a runcible hat.

1895   E. Lear Nonsense Songs & Stories (new ed.) 76   What a runcible
goose you are!

1895   E. Lear Nonsense Songs & Stories (new ed.) 77   We shall
presently all be dead, On this ancient runcible wall.
[End OED excerpt]

Garson