[Ads-l] Word/Phrase: cancel, cancel culture, cancellation culture

Wed May 15 04:08:27 UTC 2019

Youtuber James Charles who specializes in makeup and beauty lost three
million followers recently because of a denunciation video from former
friend and mentor Tati Westbrook. He still has 13,450,286 subscribers
as I post this.

Apparently #CancelJamesCharles was trending on twitter for a time.
Articles about Charles are using the following terms: "cancel",
"cancel culture", "cancellation culture".

Wikipedia has a pertinent article: Call-out culture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call-out_culture

I haven't seen this topic ("cancel") in the mailing list archives.

Here is an example from the latest scandal.

Article: HOW MUCH MONEY DID JAMES CHARLES' TATI WESTBROOK FEUD COST
HIM? IT MIGHT NOT BE WHAT YOU THINK
Autor: HANNAH PRESTON
Timestamp: 5/14/19 AT 6:07 PM EDT
https://www.newsweek.com/how-much-money-james-charles-tati-westbrook-feud-cost-him-what-experts-1425322

[Begin excerpt]
While things look bleak for Charles in this "cancel culture" it might
not be over for him yet.
[End excerpt]

Here are some tweets with the phrase "You have been cancelled" that
apparently match part of the desired sense.

[Begin tweet info]
https://twitter.com/devilwearspuma/status/2532949405
10:30 AM - 8 Jul 2009
@devilwearspuma
Cancelling people faster than the speed of life so if you don't hear
from me. You have been cancelled in New Alb...
http://loopt.us/tc4FTg.t
[End tweet info]

[Begin tweet info]
https://twitter.com/RheaListick/status/1106083506
11:49 PM - 8 Jan 2009
RheaListick Mayhem @RheaListick
Y!:I just removed 3 people off my list. htanks for adding me but not
chatting. You have been cancelled
[End tweet info]

The meaning of the tweet below is ambiguous.

[Begin tweet info]
https://twitter.com/hawkito/status/1019014855
11:14 PM - 22 Nov 2008
skyhawk @hawkito