[Ads-l] "kludgy, adj." - Word of the Day from the OED

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 16 14:08:36 UTC 2019

It would be nice if there were any written evidence (say, internal memos at
GE) to back up the Kravitz claim, since that would be a great antedating of
the earliest cite given by the OED and elsewhere for "kludge" (Jackson
Granholm's Feb. 1962 article in Datamation, "How to Design a Kludge"). As
it stands, though, "Kravitz's Large Unwieldy Giant Enigma" seems like an
unlikely backronym, along the lines of "glitch" getting backronymized as
"Gremlins Lurking In The Computer Hardware." I do think it's plausible that
the "kluge" spelling came first, and I'd be willing to accept that its
origins are from German "klug" meaning "clever" (another theory discussed
in "Technobabble")... but again, some written substantiation would be nice.

As for "kludgy," it could perhaps be pushed back earlier than 1970, but not
by much, I'd guess.