[Ads-l] Quote: All parents are environmentalists until they have their second child (Request help to access Behavioral and Brain Sciences)

Tue May 21 19:46:12 UTC 2019

An inquiry about a "nature versus nurture" quotation was sent to me
via twitter. I traced a version of the saying to an article in the
journal "Behavioral and Brain Sciences", but I can only read the title
of the article which is given in the subject line. Would someone be
willing to send me the PDF of the article from "Behavioral and Brain
Sciences"? (There is a link to the article below).

The target article is a response to the following primary article: Why
are children in the same family so different from one another? by
Robert Plomin and Denise Daniels. A PDF of the full article would be
helpful.

[Begin tweet inquiry]
Kevin Mitchell @WiringTheBrain
There's a famous quote with the idea that a person can remain a
empiricist (believer in nurture) if they have only one child, but once
they have a second they become a nativist (believer in nature). Anyone
know source?
[End tweet]

[Begin tweet inquiry]
Richard Harper @harpersnotes
cc Quote Investigator. @QuoteResearch .. After the first child a
parent believes in nurture. After the second- nature.
[End tweet]

Behavioral and Brain Sciences
Vol 10, Num 1 Mar 1987, p42-44
All parents are environmentalists until they have their second child
Marvin Zuckerman
https://doi.org/10.1017/S0140525X00056259

Garson