[Ads-l] fantastic -- SFF sense (UNCLASSIFIED)

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 23 19:14:08 UTC 2019

I thought I recalled hearing of a pulp magazine called "Fantastic
Tales" but I couldn't find it. I did find these pulps
1936 Fantastic Adventures
1938 Fantasy
1940 Fantastic Novels
1950 Fantastic Story Magazine/Quarterly
1952 Fantastic Worlds
1952 Fantastic Science Fiction
1952 Fantastic
1953 Fantastic Universe
1954 Fantastic Metropolis

>From the extensive, but not necessarily comprehensive index at:
http://www.philsp.com/sfi2.html

and there's book "Fantastic Pulps" by Peter Haines [1]

[1]
resent as I'd included the image from:
https://books.google.com/books?id=QBqEAAAACAAJ&source=gbs_similarbooks

Google books did not have a scan of it, but showed me an "similar" book, which
makes me reconsider Luther's stance on art and literature ;->
The Incredible Pulps: A Gallery of Fiction Magazine Art
Collectors Press, 2006 - Art - 175 pages
0 Reviews
This volume offers a unique approach to the study of the great German
reformer, Martin Luther. Robert Kolb and Charles Arand offer an
introduction to two significant themes that form the heart of Luther's
theology.The first theme concerns what it means to be truly human. For
Luther, "passive righteousness" described the believer's response to
God's grace. But there was also an "active righteousness" that defined
the relationship of the believer to the world. The second theme
involves God's relation to his creation through his Word, first
creating and then redeeming the world. Clergy and general readers will
find here a helpful introduction to Luther's theology and its
continuing importance for applying the good news of the gospel to the
contemporary world.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 1:02 PM MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY
CCDC AVMC (USA) <0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at listserv.uga.edu>
wrote:

> CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED
>

> > Bill Mullins wrote:
> > > The OED SF project has an entry for "fantastic" (adj) in the SF/F
> > > sense, earliest cite 1934
> > >
> > > _Science Fiction Digest_ Feb 1933 p 18 col 2 "We are considering
> > > enlarging the field of our service, thereby covering the so-called 'fantastic' magazines."
> > > http://www.fanac.org/fanzines/SF_Digest_2/SF_Digest_0106-18.jp
> > > eg
> >
> > Bill: What is the desired definition of "fantastic" in the SFF domain?
>
> The short answer is "whatever an SF/F (science fiction/fantasy) fan is pointing at when he uses the term".
>
> A better answer might be, "having the characteristics of the Science Fiction and/or Fantasy genres of literature."
>
> > Currently, attempting to access webpages on jessesword.com generates errors (for me).
>
> For me, too. However, the OED SF Database doesn't seem to have been significantly updated in quite some time, so any recent archived entry on the Wayback Machine will do as well.
>

> > The raw match below is in the SF domain. "The Machine Stops" is a famous early SF story by E. M. Forster.
> >
> > Year: 1928
> > Periodical: The Texas Outlook
> > Volume 12
> > Quote Page 47
> > Google Books snippet match; data may be inaccurate; search for "1928"
> > shows that 1928 issues are in the target book. Volume number 12 matches the year.
> >
> > [Begin excerpt]
> > "The Machine Stops" is a fantastic picture of what existence will have become some ages hence when every phase of human life is
> > dominated by machine [End excerpt]
> >
> > Garson
>
> Given that this cite was written by (presumably) a non-SFF person (a "mudane"), it is ambiguous at best as to whether it was intended to be read in the SFF sense, or in a conventional sense (OED entry A.1.a. ) of "fantastic."
> So I'm not sure I'd include it as a citation for this sense.

> > The American Dialect Society - Caution-http://www.americandialect.org
> CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com