[Ads-l] Simile: Like bald men fighting over a comb (Thanks for help in 2018)

Sun May 26 15:58:24 UTC 2019

Way back in July 2018 I asked for some help with a simile attributed
to Leo Tolstoy and Jorge Luis Borges. The topic was more complex than
I had anticipated. Now the QI website has an entry.

Like Two Bald Men Fighting Over a Comb
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/05/23/comb/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to researcher Nigel Rees who discussed this topic in his
April 1992 newsletter and his recent Kindle book “The Best Guide to
Humorous Quotations”. Rees presented citations beginning in 1938 and
noted the ascription to Borges. Special thanks to Peter Reitan who
located an 1888 citation. Several people kindly offered to help QI
with the Russian text: Gerald Cohen, Jay Dillon, Ivan Van Laningham’s
friend, and imwitty. QI is responsible for all errors.
[End acknowledgement]

Feedback welcome,
Garson