[Ads-l] I coulda been a (QOTY) contender!

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 29 04:22:08 UTC 2019

From https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/27/us/politics/trump-climate-science.html

However, the goal of political appointees in the Trump administration is not just to change the climate assessment’s methodology, which has broad scientific consensus, but also to question its conclusions by creating a new climate review panel. That effort is led by a 79-year-old physicist who had a respected career at Princeton but has become better known in recent years for attacking the science of man-made climate change and for defending the virtues of carbon dioxide — sometimes to an awkward degree.

“The demonization of carbon dioxide is just like the demonization of the poor Jews under Hitler,” the physicist, William Happer, who serves on the National Security Council as the president’s deputy assistant for emerging technologies, said in 2014 in an interview with CNBC.

========
OK, I concede that—alas--it is a five-year-old quote, but at the time this brave man who dared to speak out so eloquently on behalf of this oppressed compound was not in a position where he could save lives (of scapegoated chemical compounds).  Now that he has risen to this new status, we can pray that he will help make the world safe for carbon dioxide (if not for humans and other animals).

I love the reference to the “poor Jews”—such compassion!

LH