[Ads-l] Quote: You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do.

Fri May 31 14:42:48 UTC 2019

David Foster Wallace's tome “Infinite Jest” includes the following
statement: "That you will become way less concerned with what other
people think of you when you realize how seldom they do."

Several years ago I was asked to explore this saying, and I created a
post available here:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/09/09/worry-less/

Barry Popik had examined it previously:
https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/you_wouldnt_worry_what_people_may_think_of_you/

The starting citation in these articles is dated January 8, 1937. Now
I've found a citation in December 1936.

[ref] 1936 December 19, Reno Evening Gazette, Olin Miller's Comment,
Quote Page 4, Column 2, Reno, Nevada. (Newspapers_com) [/ref]
[Begin excerpt]
Olin Miller's Comment
. . .
You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you
could know how seldom they do.
[End excerpt]

Garson