[Ads-l] banana (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dave Hause dwhause at CABLEMO.NET
Fri Nov 1 07:31:24 UTC 2019

EEs remember wires, MDs struggle to remember cranial nerves.  Lots of
mnemonics for the names but you have to memorize functions, too.  Suggestive
or obscene helps but I went to St. Louis U, a Jesuit-founded school so we
(MD, 1980) sought also for sacrilegious;  S - sensory, M - motor, B - both
sensory & motor:  Sally sucked many monks but Magdalene blew seven brothers
before morning mass.
Dave Hause

-----Original Message-----
From: MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC AVMC (USA)
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 2:18 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: banana (UNCLASSIFIED)

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

> In any case, Edward Said's _Orientalism_ (1978) was the biggest nail in
> the
> coffin and lexical re-orientation was de rigueur.
>
>  For people with degrees anyhow.

Oh, I have a degree - Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering.  But
the standard mnemonic for color codes on resistors was taught to us with a
straight face ("Black boys rape our young girls but Violet gives
willingly" -- black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, grey,
white)), so whether or not "oriental" was offensive was completely off the
radar.

(Wikipedia has a number of mnemonics which are not so racist or sexist, but
are also much less memorable.)

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED