[Ads-l] RES: Pseudo-prescriptivism in TV dialogue

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Mon Nov 11 13:46:48 UTC 2019

This was quite common on The Big Bang Theory. Sheldon loved to correct other
folks' grammar, but then would turn around and say "between you and I,"
"give it to Leonard and I," etc., and use "bring" for "take." I wrote to
them several times about it over the years but, unsurprisingly, they never
wrote back and never corrected it.
DAD

-----Mensagem original-----
De: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] Em nome de
Arnold M. Zwicky
Enviada em: segunda-feira, 11 de novembro de 2019 09:44
Para: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Assunto: Re: Pseudo-prescriptivism in TV dialogue

Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Pseudo-prescriptivism in TV dialogue
---

as a sometime student of NomConjObj ( https://arnoldzwicky.org/linguistics-=
notes/pronoun-case-postings/nomconjobj-examples/ 1), i give the exact refer=
ence:

> On Nov 10, 2019, at 9:52 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>=20
> Two characters are arguing in a bar, when a third attempts to butt in.
>=20
> A. Shut up! This is between me and gran'pa!
> B. You mean, "between _gran'pa and I_"! If you're going to speak
>English,  at least speak it correctly!

from the script of Mr. Pickles S3 E10 (2013)

- Shut up! This is between me and Grandpa.

It's Grandpa and I.

If you're gonna speak English, at least use proper grammar.

https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=
=3Dmr-pickles-2013&episode=3Ds03e10=