[Ads-l] soldier

Dave Hause dwhause at CABLEMO.NET
Tue Nov 12 07:11:16 UTC 2019

I made fun of this idea for most of my  Army career, pointing out that when
"warriors", who classically fought for loot or personal honor, only under a
leader they personally respected, and usually only as long as they felt sure
they were winning, fought trained soldiers, the "warriors" were mostly
slaughtered.
Dave Hause

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2019 3:01 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: soldier

The term preferred by the military these days seems to be "warrior." Faute
de mieux.

Some may recall (from ca1960) TV commercials for the Army Reserve and/or
National Guard urging you to "Be a Weekend Warrior!"

The phrase has extended its meaning in later years.

Anyway, that's the earliest ex. I've encountered of American service
personnel being called "warriors."

JL