[Ads-l] instance of "gook" 1907

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 14 16:56:15 UTC 2019

Jon, the earliest I see in HDAS for the ethnic slur is actually from July
10, 1920 (in _The Nation_), and a check of the archives reveals that you've
antedated that twice, both in the Haitian context:

1918 _The Marines Magazine_  (Jan.) 41: H. D., 2d Regt., 1st Prov. Brigade
[Haiti]..."Freddie" Morgan, another "Hello girl" ['telephone
operator']...had to hire about six "Gooks" to carry all the packages he
received from Sears and Roebuck.

1920 _Fort Wayne News and Sentinel_ (Apr. 9, 1920) 18: The marines
maintaining order in Hayti call the insurgent Haytians "Gooks." The upper
photo shows some marines with a road gang of "Gooks" whom they have
captured in skirmishes near Port au Prince.

Also noted in HDAS, Mencken in the 4th ed. of _The American Language_
(1936) wrote that "The Marines in Nicaragua called the natives gooks,"
referring to the 1912 occupation of Nicaragua.

The ethnic slur may have grown out of the earlier freakish use of "gook"
thanks in part to a series of cartoons by Ferdinand Long in the New York
Evening World in 1904 titled "The Great American Gook." A few examples from
June 1904:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/38992509/gook_evening_world/
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/38992818/gook_evening_world/
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/38993020/gook_evening_world/
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/38992600/gook_evening_world/

Long's comic strip was noted in a discussion of "gook" on the Straight Dope
message board back in 2004:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=264862
"The strip starred a nutty sort of robotic alien called a 'Gook'. The humor
of the strip was derived from the Gook being completely out of control and
at odds with civilized people. The strip created a short-lived fad of
applying the word gook to anyone with strange customs, anyone who didn't
fit in."

--bgz