[Ads-l] Antedating of "Hippie" (Countercultural Sense)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 15 18:14:09 UTC 2019

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 8:18 AM Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:

> hippie (OED, 2., 1966)
>
> 1965 _San Francisco Examiner_ 14 Oct. 6/1 (Newspapers.com)  One of the
> oddest amusements I heard of while posing as a member of the Berkeley
> Underground was that of a group of hippie students who thought it great fun
> to sit around smoking marijuana and playing the game of Monopoly.

As we discussed last year, Michael Fallon used "hippie" in a four-part
series in the San Francisco Examiner, starting on Sept. 5, 1965.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2018-September/152817.html

Links to the series:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/23611289/hippie_1/
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/23611379/hippie_2/
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/23611403/hippie_3a/
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/23611420/hippie_3b/
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/23611436/hippie_4/

I discussed Fallon's series in a recent Wall Street Journal column.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hippie-a-long-strange-trip-from-savvy-to-spaced-out-11570203488

--bgz