[Ads-l] come = minutes before (the hour of ...)

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Mon Nov 25 20:34:02 UTC 2019

> On Nov 24, 2019, at 1:43 PM, Andy Bach <afbach at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> In the the comic strip “Pogo”, I believe
> Albert the alligator would describe any day with a 13 date as “Friday the
> 13th come on a Tuesday” or whatever day iT was. Friday the 13th come on a
> Friday just made it worse.

These examples have "come" in combination with time expressions, but this is just the *verb* "come" 'take place, happen' (as in "Christmas comes but once a year"), but with non-standard forms (suitable for the Okefenokee Swamp).

Arnold