[Ads-l] bread-and-butter pickles

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 28 16:19:06 UTC 2019

I made bread-and-butter pickles this year for the first time. I used my grandmother’s recipe and wondered about the name, which I saw used on some pickles at the grocery store.

Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bread-and-butter_pickle <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bread-and-butter_pickle>) says its a sweet pickle used in sandwiches. The OED and Merriam-Webster do not list it.

According to Cottage at the Crossroads (https://cottageatthecrossroads.com/bread-and-butter-pickles/ <https://cottageatthecrossroads.com/bread-and-butter-pickles/>), the name comes from the Depression when they were used on bread-and-butter sandwiches, which were a cheap meal.

That recipe uses onion, vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, celery seed and turmeric, all of which are in my grandmother’s recipe (which also includes bell pepper).

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA