[Ads-l] Antedatings and Etymological Speculation Concerning "Spam" (Computing)

Sat Oct 5 18:22:25 UTC 2019

Excellent work, Fred, Laurence, Alan, Ben, Peter, Dave, Benjamin.
Below is a Monty Python inspired joke emblazoned on a button in 1986
according to a Usenet message.

From: schuler at gondor.UUCP (David W. Schuler)
Newsgroups: net.jokes
Subject: 1001 Button Sayings (and then some)
Date: Fri, 21-Mar-86 16:57:41 EST
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/net.jokes/er6Hs89mpVA/JQSTaZ3aT_gJ

[Begin excerpt]
Every spam is sacred
[End excerpt]

The line above echoes the lyric "Every sperm is sacred" in the 1983
movie "The Meaning of Life". It probably also references the Monty
Python spam skit. Sadly, there is no evidence that the line refers to
unsolicited email, screen scrolling, or buffer overflows.

Here is another spam joke that was posted in net.jokes in 1982 which
you might enjoy, but it is not about unsolicited email et cetera.