[Ads-l] Euphemism?

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 14 14:43:12 UTC 2019

As Garson suggested upthread, earlier examples of "wise ass" (as those
given by John Baker) use "ass" in the sense of "donkey." I think JL's
excellent 1951 example is still the earliest in the modern sense, where the
anatomical sense of "ass" is implied. I did a search on an edition of "My
Six Convicts" on Google Books and found the quote in snippet view, but I
see it's actually "Let this wise-ass ham hang hisself" (not "himself").

https://books.google.com/books?id=WoDaAAAAMAAJ&q=%22wise+ass%22

Of related interest: I wrote a post earlier this year for the Strong
Language blog on "stupid-ass" (as used in the 1967 song "Jackie" performed
by the late Scott Walker):

https://stronglang.wordpress.com/2019/03/26/a-cute-cute-in-a-stupid-ass-way/

Relevant bits:

-----
In American English, _ass_ for "donkey" and _arse_ for "buttocks" merged
historically into the single word _ass_, and confusion over this ambiguity
has reigned ever since. Calling someone "a stupid ass," for instance, would
be relatively tame under the "donkey" reading of _ass_, but as the
equivalent of British _arse_ it would be much more vulgar. _Asshole_ of
course dispels with the ambiguity, as that can only be understood
anatomically. [...]
It strikes me that at least early on, the adjectival use of _dumb-ass_ and
_stupid-ass_ had a kind of strategic ambiguity. Because "dumb" and "stupid"
are qualities associated with donkeys, the "donkey" meaning of _ass_ could
have been foremost in many people's minds. But for those in the know,
especially those familiar with African-American slang, it would have had
more of a connection to the anatomical sense. (That connection would have
been undeniable in the written form _dumb-assed_ or _stupid-assed_; it's
been argued that the _-ass_ suffix arose out of a dialectal pronunciation
of _-assed_ that dropped the final /t/ sound.)
-----

--bgz