[Ads-l] Correction of Antedating of "Zionism"

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 17 22:49:08 UTC 2019

Here is an 1888 citation.

1888 (title page; see also https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/006499632 <https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/006499632>)
Babylon, Its Future History and Doom: With Remarks on the Future of Egypt and other Eastern countries
By Benjamin Wills Newton
https://tinyurl.com/y5bg63ws <https://tinyurl.com/y5bg63ws>

####
In the fourth century Imperial Rome presented us with a false _Zionism_; and we were deceived. Subsequently, Ecclesiastical Rome presented us with another _Zionism_ yet more instinct with the power of sin and death; its deceptions prevailed and are prevailing still. A _third_ Zionism is now at hand.
####
####

The first two instances of “Zionism” are italicized. It appears that perhaps the third instance was also intended to be italicized, but either “third” won out as requiring more emphasis or else the wrong word was italicized.

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA