[Ads-l] Spinal Tap legacy

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 18 18:39:03 UTC 2019

This is by no means anything new or antedated. I'm simply marking yet
another non-ironic appearance of This Is Spinal Tap as a reference point.
I've spotted "turn(ed) it up to 11" on numerous occasions in the wild but,
most of the time, it's either meant to be in jest or directly references
its Spinal Tap origin. This one is neither. Since we're now dealing with
generations who are well out from the Spinal Tap release, the phrase origin
may be as mysterious to them as "put the kibosh on" or "whole none yards"
was to us.

This is from the Mystic brewer:

That was one of the most handcrafted, patience, everything that makes
something stuff good. That one’s got everything turned up to 11.

Boston.com: Mystic Brewery’s Chelsea tap room closes this weekend. Here’s
why — and what might be next
https://www.boston.com/food/beer/2019/10/18/mystic-brewery-closing