[Ads-l] layer = "an insulating item of clothing"

Mark Mandel markamandel at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 22 21:10:24 UTC 2019

Has anyone else encountered this usage?

An exchange with the writer of an announcement:

=====

Fri, Oct 18, 2019, 2:35 PM …

This is just a quick reminder that we're organizing … on Monday, October
21st, at 9:30am.
[The event] will go until ~1pm and be followed by a vegetarian potluck
lunch.

Things to bring:
…
-A layer. We hope to be outside.

=====

Fri, Oct 18, 2019, 10:57 PM Mark Mandel …
«-A layer. We hope to be outside.»

I'm sorry, that doesn't make any sense to me. A layer of what, for what? My
only guess is that you mean something to sit or lie on, like a picnic
blanket, to protect our clothes from getting stained by the grass.

=====

Tue, Oct 22, 2019, 1:50 PM…
Hi Mark-
By a layer, I meant a clothing layer. Like a jacket or sweater.

=====

MAM