[Ads-l] Phrase: head hopping (used to describe a rapidly changing mental point of view in fiction)

Tue Oct 29 19:10:38 UTC 2019

During a lecture on flash fiction I attended recently the speaker
referred to "head hopping". Here is a 2014 explanation of the term:

Article: The Official Rules on Head-Hopping
Author: Randy Ingermanson (America's Mad Professor of Fiction Writing)
Date Specified on Website: April 30, 2014
https://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/blog/2014/04/30/head-hopping-fiction-writing/

[Begin excerpt]
Randy sez:  Let’s define terms. “Head-hopping” is the practice of
switching point-of-view characters within a single scene. This is not
the same as the omniscient point-of-view, which would allow your
narrator to know things that none of the characters know.

If you want to start a war among fiction writers, a golden way to do
it is to tell everyone that they can’t hop heads. Or tell them that
they can.
[End excerpt]

I did not see "head hopping" in the OED, but I found that the term was
employed by a writing instructor all the way back in 1961.

Year: 1961 Copyright
Book Title: Story Craft: A creative writing manual for all who would
write and sell for publication