[Ads-l] banana (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 31 00:04:08 UTC 2019

How about "oriental rug"?

Or is it saved by lower case?

ISTR that "Oriental" was being condemned in the early '70s, when I was in
college.  It was around the time of "banana."

In any case, Edward Said's _Orientalism_ (1978) was the biggest nail in the
coffin and lexical re-orientation was de rigueur.

 For people with degrees anyhow.

JL

JL

JL