[Ads-l] ching chong (1862?)

Stanton McCandlish smccandlish at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 1 23:14:41 UTC 2019

Good points. Perhaps it was a combination of ”Chin[a|ese]", plus the
frequency of "ch" in anglicized transliterations of Chinese names and food
terms, and the fairly high frequencies of related sounds like /k/, /sh/,
/zh/ and /dzh/ (/j/), not just /tsh/ (/ch/).

I'm on mobile right now; no easy way to input IPA.

[...]