[Ads-l] creepie-crawlie (alt. spelling of creepy-crawly)

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 8 11:24:13 UTC 2019

While “creepy-crawly” is recorded in the OED, Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/creepy-crawly <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/creepy-crawly>) and other dictionaries, I don’t see the alternative spelling “creepie-crawlie” listed.

1. https://tinyurl.com/y6cbcsxw <https://tinyurl.com/y6cbcsxw>
The linguistic atlas of Scotland: Scots section
J. Y. Mather, H. H. Speitel, G. W. Leslie, Linguistic Survey of Scotland
1975 (Google-dated)

[entry word found in index]

2. https://tinyurl.com/y6qfbokv <https://tinyurl.com/y6qfbokv>
Parliamentary Debates: Standing committees : House of Commons official report
Great Britain, Parliament, House of Commons
1994

This presumably refers to “delay tactics”.

****
“Creepie-crawlie mode”
####
####

3. https://tinyurl.com/yyw3ss9w <https://tinyurl.com/yyw3ss9w>
Taxation, Volume 135
Taxation Publishing Company
1995 (Google-dated)

A pseudonym

****
If I can suggest the best way forward, ‘Creepie crawlie’ is going to have to ‘bite the bullet’, live up to his pseudonym and provide the books/records.
####
####

4. https://tinyurl.com/y5h7llge <https://tinyurl.com/y5h7llge>
Traditional Chinese Characters: Learn & Remember 2,193 Character Meanings
Alan Hoenig

This is referring to the wug (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_(rainbow-dragon) <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_(rainbow-dragon)>) concept.

****
_Frogs_ are _jade_-green colored _creepie-crawlies_. (Well, not quite _insect_, even though the _insect_ element often appears in creepie-crawlie contexts.)
####
####

5. https://tinyurl.com/y6jt4v75 <https://tinyurl.com/y6jt4v75>
Angela and Diabola
Lynne Reid Banks
2004

****
You make me sick, you icky sticky creepie crawlie little goody-goody.
####
####

6. https://tinyurl.com/y3hp7h6q <https://tinyurl.com/y3hp7h6q>
Patchwork of Poems
Moira Andrew
2000 (Googled-dated)

****
Then read and listen to the poem, gathering clues about the ‘creepie-crawlie’.
####
####

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA