[Ads-l] Antedating of "Double" (Baseball)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 1 08:46:56 UTC 2020

Slightly earlier in the same paper:

---
The Times (Philadelphia), Sep. 14, 1875, p. 4, col. 3
Three base hits with a bad throw gave the Quakers one in the first
inning... a single by Zettlein and a double by McMullin, one in the seventh.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47781681/double/
---
The Times (Philadelphia), Oct. 11, 1875, p. 1, col. 6
The next inning was disastrous to the Blue Legs, Schafer, Wright, Barnes,
O'Rourke, McVey, Spalding and White hitting hard, there being a three-baser
and a couple of doubles.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47781568/double/
---