[Ads-l] RES: Alligator Bait

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Tue Apr 21 02:35:43 UTC 2020

I just now came into this, so if someone else has mentioned this I'm sorry.
I remember a joke from the 60s. Lyndon Johnson is helicoptering over a bayou
or whatever in the south, and he sees two white men in a boat with two black
kids water skiing behind the boat. He orders the pilot to land the
helicopter and goes and greets the white men in the boat and congratulates
them with endless handshakes and praise for their excellent actions on
behalf of race relations. He then takes off. One man looks at the other and
says, "Who was that?" Other guy says, "I don't know, but he don't know
nothin about trollin for alligators."
DAD

-----Mensagem original-----
De: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] Em nome de
Jonathan Lighter
Enviada em: segunda-feira, 20 de abril de 2020 22:30
Para: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Assunto: Re: Alligator Bait

Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alligator Bait
---

I shared your doubts when I included this unpleasant term in HDAS 1, but in
those pre-databank days, I could find no background other than the supposed
allusion.

In other words, your conclusions are undoubtedly correct.

JL.