[Ads-l] select, adj. = certain, particular

Mon Apr 27 01:47:11 UTC 2020

Dan Goncharoff wrote:
> Isn't 'select' just being used as a synonym for 'some'?

Thanks for your response, Dan. In the two examples I provided I think
that you could substitute "some" for "select" and the sentences would
make sense. In the initial post on this thread, JL suggested that
nowadays "select" sometimes meant "certain, particular".

The question under examination, I think, is whether there has been a
semantic shift for the word "select". Here are the senses for "select"
which are currently listed in the OED:

[Begin OED excerpt]
select, adj. and n.

1. Selected, chosen out of a larger number, on account of excellence
or fitness; picked.
2. Hence, Choice, of special value or excellence; composed of or
containing the best, choicest or most desirable; superior.
a. Of things, material or immaterial.
b. Of persons, company, etc. Now often: Unexceptionable with regard to
social standing or estimation.
3. Careful in selection. Hence, (of a society or association)
admitting only persons of a high class, esp. with regard to social
station; exclusive; (of a place of resort) frequented only by persons
of good social position.
B. n.
a. A selected person or thing.
b. A selected class or group, a selection.
[End OED excerpt]

The OED senses all indicate that there should be an entity or entities
performing a selection process. Also, the selection process should
usually (but not always) favor excellence or fitness.

Sense 2 b states: "Now often: Unexceptionable with regard to social
standing or estimation." Thus, selected items are not always the best.

In the examples given by Nancy Friedman, the select items have been
selected by a human or corporate entity. The items are fit to be sold
at a discount. This use of "select" seems to be ok according to the
OED senses.

In JL's example and in my two examples there is no real selection
process. In addition, the selected items do not display excellence or
fitness.

Admittedly, one might say God performed a selection regarding the
fourth wave of influenza infection as suggested by LH, but that
interpretation is a stretch.

Garson