[Ads-l] "psychedelic" music (1964)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Apr 28 18:04:33 UTC 2020

Yes, theirs is an interesting take on Hesitation Blues, a traditional song
with very unstable lyrics--no two versions seem exactly alike.  For
example, besides the "psychedelic" bit (at 1:46), this couplet at the
beginning is apparently unique to the HMR version:

I was born in Pennsylvania, I was raised in France
I'm a dirty old man and I wear silk pants.

I was always struck by the HMR's "or...or" construction in the chorus (each
time it returns):

Tell me how long do I have to wait
Or can I get you now, or must I hesitate

No other version has that initial "Or"

LH