[Ads-l] Can We Please Stop Using =?Windows-1252?Q?=91Latinx=92=3F_?=Thanx. | by Kurly Tlapoyawa | Human Parts

Margaret Winters mewinters at WAYNE.EDU
Wed Aug 19 19:11:39 UTC 2020

Discussions with colleagues from Spain (admittedly all with higher degrees or working on them) is that they are absolutely certain that they are not Latino/a but European.  This came up occasionally when dealing with one or another Affirmative Action office (I was chair of foreign languages over several years at two different universities) when the question of identifying oneself as what we now call a protected minority arose in filling out forms.  To a person the Spaniards I hired checked Caucasian/White and were outraged at the query from Affirmative Action about their being anything else.  I would guess natives of Portugal would react the same way, but I have no first-hand experience there.

best to all,
Margaret

----------------------------
MARGARET E WINTERS
Former Provost
Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

mewinters at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Salikoko S. Mufwene <mufw at UCHICAGO.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 2:50 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Can We Please Stop Using ‘Latinx’? Thanx. | by Kurly Tlapoyawa | Human Parts

Larry, one thing that prompted me to share the article with the list is
that, according to Tlapoyawa, "Latinx" was used as a substitute for
"Chicana" and "Chicano." My understanding is that the denotation of
"Latinx" is now much, much more inclusive, applying to people from the
geographical area called "Latin America." For some, that also includes
former French colonies and current French overseas departments, as "the
Americas" sometimes include the Caribbean islands. So, it appears to me
that the inclusiveness of "x" in "Latinx" now also applies to diversity
of national origins.

Another relevant fact is that you asked yesterday, if I remember well,
whether the label applies to the Portuguese and Spanish people. The
article does not suggest that interpretation but leads Tlapoyawa to
deplore neocolonialism (my interpretation) in the choice of the label
"Latin," which, from the Chevalier's perspective much earlier, includes
not only Portugal and Spain but also France.