[Ads-l] prodigy "extraordinary mental ability in a child"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 24 00:16:11 UTC 2020

> On Aug 23, 2020, at 5:49 PM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Or "prodigality" autocorrect?

For me, “prodigality” isn’t the abstract nominal for “prodigy”; it’s reserved for ‘wasteful spending’ and such. (As in the case of the prodigal son, who was no prodigy.)  So I can see the problem, since “prodigyhood” or “prodigyness” are pretty much impossible.  But “prodigy” doesn’t really work either, as Mark notes.