[Ads-l] ESG

Tue Aug 25 07:17:04 UTC 2020

Searching for a different ordering of the key terms produces evidence
of "four spheres" instead of three circa 2002: "economic, social,
environmental and governance." Of course, a different ordering would
yield a different initialism, but no initialism was mentioned.

[Begin excerpt]
. . . published in 2002 for the World Business Council on Sustainable
Development defines the following four spheres of sustainable
development: economic, social, environmental and governance sphere
(MMSD, 2002).
[End excerpt]

[Begin bibliographical note]
MMSD Final Report, 2002. Breaking New Ground: Mining, Minerals, and
Sustainable Development, Earthscan Publishers. London, ISBN number: I
85383 942 6.
[End bibliographical note]

Year: 2003
Conference: Sustainable Development Indicators In Mineral Industries
Location: Milos Island Greece
Article: Sustainable development in the Canadian mineral industry
Author: K. Fytas (Department of Mining, Metallurgical and Materials
Engineering, Laval University, Quebec City, Canada)
Quote Page 79

https://books.google.com/books?id=FCNCcCY_pzIC&q=%22governance+sphere%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt - OCR errors possible]
Sustainable development is multidimensional
(usually four-dimensional ). The multi-million
dollar project report "Mining, Metals and
Sustainable Development" published in 2002
for the World Business Council on Sustainable
Development defines the following four spheres
of sustainable development: economic, social,
environmental and governance sphere ( MMSD,
2002). On the other hand Eggert (Eggert, 2000)
defines four dimensions of sustainable
development. The first dimension emphasizes
the natural environment including both the
quality of the environment and the stock of
mineral resources. The second dimension is
related to the economic sustainability of human
living standards. The third dimension refers to
the social and cultural sustainability. Finally a
fourth dimension is superimposed on the
previous three dimensions that is the issue of
scale depending on the perspective (ex. of the
world as a whole, of individual communities or
ecosystems, etc.).
[End excerpt]

Garson