[Ads-l] Latinx

Stanton McCandlish smccandlish at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 25 21:28:39 UTC 2020

My impression (based on a fair amount of reading) is that it's not really
"their word", but rather an exonym that was invented in US universities as
a language-change activism matter.  That may be a moot point if some
Hispanics are themselves now adopting it. But what I was reading up until
this year was that use of the term was not finding much traction among
Spanish speakers, and less so the farther away from the US you get (e.g.,
some in Mexico, only a little in South America, and hardly at all in
Spain).  It was preceded in online writing by "Latin@" (among actual users
of Spanish), since "@" looks like a "a" inside an "o", and in turn was
derived from earlier use of "Latino/a" in writing, usually said aloud as
"Latino o Latina" or "Latino y Latina", depending on context. Like
"Latine", this is all generally neologistic usage from the 1990s or maybe a
bit earlier, a feminist reaction against the masculine form being used as
generic, much as "he/him/his" have been falling into disuse in English as
generic.

Anyway, I don't think it's insensitive to examine the term, and its origins
and history, and why and among whom it is used versus other less awkward
alternatives.  The "x" seems to have been chosen because of its frequent
use as a variable in mathematics.

--
Stanton McCandlish
McCandlish Consulting

+1 415 234 3992

https://www.linkedin.com/in/SMcCandlish

"The capacity to produce social chaos is the last resort of desperate
people."
—Cornel West, author and philosopher (1953–)
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
—Isaac Asimov, biochemist and science-fiction writer (1920–1992)